Toast is a wonderful thing. There’s just so many fun toppings and flavor combinations. With all these amazing fall goods, I can’t think of better way to enjoy them than on a nice piece of toasted sourdough. Or whole wheat if that’s your jam. Each combo makes for a balanced meal, perfect for any meal of the day. The best part is that they’re so easy to prepare and totally vegan! Choose your favorite, or just make them all like I did and eat them for dinner.
Note: the ingredient lists do not include bread and each recipe makes enough for two pieces of toast. I recommend a nice sourdough or seeded bread for all of these. I like to toast my bread under the broiler so one side gets crisp and toasty while the other side stays super moist and soft.
Avocado Toast with Crispy Rosemary Chickpea
3/4 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp fresh rosemary (dried works too)
1/2 a ripe avocado, mashed or sliced
3 tbsp dried cranberries
Salt to taste
- Using a paper towel, gently pat the chickpeas dry, careful not to roll off their outer layer. In a small skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering and add chickpeas, rosemary and a pinch of salt. Sauté for about 10 min. or until golden and crispy.
- To assemble the toasts, spread mashed avocado on both slices of toasted bread and top with crispy chickpeas, dried cranberries and some flaky sea salt.
Butternut Squash Toast with Ricotta and Balsamic
1 cup butternut squash, sliced thinly
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp rosemary and/or thyme
1/2 cup Easy Vegan Ricotta
Arugula, pumpkin seeds, and balsamic glaze for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. In a large bowl, toss squash with olive oil, maple syrup and herbs before spreading evenly on a baking sheet and roasting for 25-30 min. or until tender and the edges are crispy.
- Spread vegan ricotta on both slices of bread and top with a few pieces of squash, a handful of arugula, pumpkin seeds and a drizzle of balsamic.
Brown Sugar Cinnamon Apple Toast
1 apple, cubed into 1 in. pieces
1 tsp vegan butter (such as Earth Balance)
2 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup nut/seed butter
- Heat vegan butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat, then stir in apple, brown sugar and cinnamon. Sauté for 6-8 minutes or until soft and caramelized.
- Spread nut/seed butter on both slices of bread and top with sautéed apples and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Pumpkin Butter Banana Toast
1/2 cup pumpkin butter (homemade or store-bought)
1 ripe banana, sliced
2 tbsp toasted pumpkin seeds
- To toast the seeds, heat a skillet over medium heat then add in pumpkin seeds. Toast for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown and they begin popping.
- Spread pumpkin butter onto both slices of bread, top with banana and a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds.