Grilled honey mustard chicken salad with sweet and smoky marinated grilled chicken skewers, avocado, addictive seasoned pretzels and fresh cherry tomatoes. Perfect for a satisfying but healthy summer meal that The whole family can enjoy.
Colorful, loaded salads have to be one of the best parts of summer. This grilled honey mustard chicken salad is one of my favorites. It tastes super fresh and the sweet honey mustard marinated chicken pairs so well with the avocado, cherry tomatoes and hearty mixed greens. And if that’s sounding a little too healthy, sprinkle on some crunchy seasoned pretzels to really take this salad to the next level.
How to Make Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken Salad
Marinate the chicken: For this recipe, I like to use boneless skinless chicken breasts just because they’re easier to cut into cubes. You’ll want to do this first to speed up the marination time.
For the honey mustard marinade, whisk together some apple cider vinegar, olive oil, honey, Dijon mustard, thyme and rosemary. Pour into a large rectangular container and arrange the pieces of chicken so they’re all covered by the marinade. Marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, up to overnight if you have time.
Make the seasoned pretzels: For these, I used the big hard sourdough pretzels from Snyders. I recommend using either these, or some other substantial shape as they will hold onto the seasoning better than say, mini twists.
Break the pretzels up into bite size pieces and toss in a bowl with the seasoning mixture. Spread everything out onto a rimmed baking sheet and scrape on any seasoning that gets left in the bowl. Bake the pretzels for about 20-25 minutes or until toasty and seasoning seems to be sticking. Let them cool for a few minutes before serving.
Grill the chicken: To cook the chicken, I used an outdoor gas grill but a grill pan would also work. It might take just a few minutes longer to cook through so keep that in mind. Preheat whatever you’re using to medium heat while you prepare the chicken.
Thread the marinated chicken pieces onto skewers. If using wooden skewers, you may want to soak them in water for 10 minutes before doing this. Grill for about 10-15 minutes, depending on the size of your pieces and heat of your grill. Since the pieces are so small, you can’t really stick a thermometer in there to check for doneness. Instead, slide off a piece and cut it open. You’ll know the chicken is done when it’s no longer pink in the middle.
Assemble: this grilled honey mustard chicken salad does not have an official dressing per say, but the other ingredients are so flavorful, a simple drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice is perfect. Before serving, go do toss the greens, then divide among bowls. Top with grilled chicken, seasoned pretzels, avocado and cherry tomatoes. A sprinkle of flaky salt is also quite good. Enjoy!
Tips for Making Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken Salad
- This salad is best served fresh, when the chicken is fresh off the grill, but it also makes for a delicious leftover meal. Store the chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. The pretzels keep at room temperature in an airtight container for a couple weeks.
- This grilled honey mustard chicken salad would also be great with some grilled vegetables if you’re looking for something even more substantial. Try zucchini, red onion and bell peppers all brushed with a little oil.
- Something to keep in mind when cooking the chicken: just because there are grill marks, this does not mean the chicken is cooked through! Take a piece off and double check just to be sure.
More Summer Recipes to Try
- Spicy coconut lime curry with crispy tofu
- Kale pesto pasta with lemony meatballs
- Blackberry basil grilled chicken salad
- Vegan lemon artichoke flatbread with Za’atar