For anyone thinking that a vegan grilled cheese is just an inferior substitute to the real thing, you’ve probably never had one of these guys. I mean, the picture says it all. This grilled cheese has a little bit of everything with a bright mint pesto, creamy tofu ricotta and a blueberry compote for a touch of sweetness. I was a little skeptical of the combo at first, but I listened to my gut because it usually knows what it wants. And let me say, this really gives gourmet a new definition. Plus—it’s totally healthy so grilled cheese for dinner!
A few notes—
- If it seems like a lot of components for one grilled cheese, you can replace the homemade pesto and blueberry jam with store bought. However, I think it’s worth it because they’re so easy and such versatile condiments!
- For the blueberry compote, I like using frozen blueberries because they’re sweeter. Look for the wild ones, they’re really small and go great on this grilled cheese.
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or mayonnaise
- 1 cup Vegan Ricotta
For the blueberry compote:
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries (see above)
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp cornstarch (thickener, optional)
For the mint pesto:
- 3 cups packed mint and/or basil
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp salt + more to taste
- To make the blueberry compote, heat blueberries, sugar, 1 tbsp of water and cornstarch (if using) in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15-20 min uncovered until the compote is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Stir in lemon juice and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make the mint pesto, combine mint and/or basil, sunflower seeds, nutritional yeast, olive oil, lemon and salt in a food processor or high speed blender. Pulse until smooth. Add more salt to taste and set aside.
- To make each sandwich, spread vegan butter or mayo on both slices of bread. Heat a skillet over medium heat and place one slice in the pan butter side down, followed by the mint pesto, tofu ricotta and blueberry compote. Place the other slice on top, buttered side facing up. Be careful not to press it down or the filling may squish out! Cook until golden brown then flip and repeat for the other side. Serve warm.