These blackened cauliflower bowls are loaded with smoky oven roasted cauliflower, rice, ripe avocado and a fresh pineapple lime salsa. Easy to make and on the table in less than 45 minutes, it’s the perfect meatless meal for any night of the week.
How to Make Blackened Cauliflower Bowls
Start by preheating the oven and lining a large rimmed baking dish with parchment. This is optional, but it makes cleanup super easy and prevents the cauliflower from sticking to the pan.
Next, whisk together a quick rub of olive oil, soy sauce, a few spices and maple syrup, which will caramelize and “blacken” the cauliflower in the oven. Break your cauliflower head down into medium sized florets and toss them with the sauce in a large bowl. Spread the florets onto the sheet pan. Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until tender and you see the tops begin to brown.
While the cauliflower cooks, make the pineapple salsa. I recommend using fresh pineapple for this recipe, but canned can work in a pinch. Cube it up pretty small and toss it in a bowl with some lime juice, red onion, cilantro and a touch of honey. Taste the pineapple for sweetness before adding the full amount of honey. You don’t want it to be too sweet. The salsa can be made several days in advance and tastes great the next day!
To serve these blackened cauliflower bowls, divide the cooked rice among bowls, top with pieces of cauliflower, a few spoonfuls of pineapple salsa and sliced avocado. A pinch of flaky salt on the cauliflower is always good too.
Tips for Making Blackened Cauliflower Bowls
- To add more protein and make these bowls a more complete meal, I recommend adding some canned black beans or roasted tofu. Grilled chicken would also be excellent for all my non-vegan friends.
- If you can’t find pineapple or don’t like it, I’ve also tried making this recipe with ripe mango and it’s delicious!
- If the cauliflower is tender but hasn’t browned properly, you can pop it under the broiler for up to five minutes to get that blackened look. It burns easily so watch it closely. Also, make sure it is a safe distance away from the heating element if using parchment paper.
More Recipes to Try:
- Spicy Coconut lime curry with crispy tofu
- Moroccan spiced lentil burgers
- Roasted cauliflower curry with black pepper
- Vegan cauliflower Mac and cheese