These vegan twice baked sweet potatoes are crisp on the outside, creamy on the inside and packed with delicious Asian flavors. They’re baked on a sheet pan until tender and caramelized, then mixed with a creamy maple tahini sauce and topped with chickpeas before returning to the oven to crisp up. They’re super simple, easy to make and they’re also vegan!
What to Serve with Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
While they’re pretty good on their own, I like to serve these vegan twice baked sweet potatoes with fresh lime, fresh chopped cilantro and avocado. Some sort of asian slaw, with shredded cabbage and carrots would go well too. If you want, you can save some of the tahini maple sauce or double the recipe to use as a salad dressing.
Vegan Maple Tahini Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes with Crispy ChickpeasCourse: Dinner, lunch, Vegan
Crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside these vegan twice baked sweet potatoes are loaded with delicious asian flavors and topped with crispy sesame chickpeas.
4 medium sweet potatoes, halved lengthwise
1/2 cup tahini
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp soy sauce
Juice and zest from 1 lime
1 28 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp oil (divided)
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
Sesame seeds, cilantro and scallions for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Rub the sweet potato halves in oil (about 1 tbsp total) and place face down on a sheet pan. Roast for 35-45 minutes or until soft and caramelized.
- While the sweet potatoes bake, whisk together tahini, maple syrup, soy sauce and lime juice/zest. Taste and add salt to taste.
- To prepare the chickpeas, toss with oil, garlic powder and salt. Set aside.
- When the sweet potatoes are cool enough to handle, scoop the filling with a spoon into a mixing bowl. Don’t completely gut them, you want to leave about a 1/2 inch intact so the skins hold their shape. Mix the sweet potato with a 1/2 cup of the tahini mixture. Refill the skins and top with chickpeas and sesame seeds.
- Return to the oven for another 25-30 minutes or until the chickpeas are golden brown and crispy.
- To make the dressing, add a 1/3 cup of water to the tahini mixture to thin it out. Drizzle over sweet potatoes and garnish with scallions and cilantro.
Made this recipe? Tag @wandering_chickpea on Instagram!