If your looking for a last minute snack for the holidays, this healthy Chex Mix is for you. Made with three types of Chex, pretzels, toasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds, it’s got all the flavors from a traditional Chex mix, but the rosemary infused olive oil gives it a classy twist. An added bonus is that it’s totally vegan, with soy sauce and nutritional yeast to give it a savory cheesy flavor that makes it impossible to stop eating.
This healthy olive oil Chex mix was definitely something different than what I’m used to making. I tend to choose sweet over salty, but I may have to make an exception with this one. There’s something about the olive oil/rosemary combo that just gets into my brain, this stuff is ADDICTIVE. I’m not complaining though. Because of my peanut allergy I could never have the traditional one, so I always felt like I was missing out. Not anymore! In this recipe I use sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds instead of nuts, I love the addition of herbs too, it adds so much flavor and makes you feel sophisticated as you shovel cereal into your mouth at 10:00 at night.
Other similar recipes you might like:
Rosemary Olive Oil Chex MixCourse: Quick/Easy, Snacks and Apps, VeganDifficulty: Easy
This healthy olive oil Chex mix is super easy to whip up for a quick snack or an easy crowd pleasing appetizer!
3 cups Corn Chex cereal
3 cups Wheat Chex cereal
3 cups Rice Chex cereal
2 cups pretzels
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
7 tbsp olive oil
3 stalks of fresh rosemary
1 tbsp thyme (fresh or dried)
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Preheat the oven to 300 F and prepare two large baking sheets.
- In a small sauce pan, heat olive oil and rosemary stalks over medium heat. When it starts to bubble and pop, reduce the heat and simmer while you mix the other ingredients. (About 7-8 min)
- In a large bowl, combine all three Chex cereals, pretzels, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds.
- Once the oil has infused and the rosemary is crispy, strip the stalks and return the leaves to the oil. To the saucepan, stir in thyme, soy sauce, garlic powder, onion powder and nutritional yeast. Pour over the cereal mixture and toss well to coat. Spread evenly across the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 1 hour, tossing every 15 minutes or so. You’ll know it’s done when it turns a golden brown and crisp.
- Adapted from original Chex party mix