This healthy turkey apple burger puts a twist on your classic burger and fries! The pan seared turkey patty is juicy and flavorful with fresh herbs and a touch of sweetness from the apple and maple syrup. Top that off with balsamic caramelized onions and you’ve got yourself the perfect burger. Also, the crispiest oven baked sweet potato fries you’ll ever have. When I was shooting this, I couldn’t stop shoving fries in my mouth and had to set some aside so I had enough for the photo. It was hard, they’re pretty addictive. Even though this meal tastes super indulgent, it’s actually about as healthy as this combo can get! Perfect for a quick and easy meal before going hard on the Christmas cookies.
A few notes—
- Instead of an egg, this recipe uses oats as a binder which also help keep the burgers juicy and moist. I like using quick cooking oats because they’re finer, but you can also use rolled oats.
- Make sure to chop all the burger ingredients pretty finely, I’ve found that big chunks of apple can cause them to fall apart.
- When pan searing your burgers, I recommend covering the pan with foil so they can cook through. Alternatively, you can sear the burgers then finish them off in the oven.
- I’ve found that for maximum crispiness, it’s best to bake the sweet potato fries directly on a metal sheet pan. But if you have to use parchment paper or a baking mat, they’ll still be delicious!
Turkey Apple Burgers with Crispy Maple Sweet Potato FriesCourse: Dinner, lunchCuisine: American
These juicy Turkey apple burgers are loaded with fall flavors and these amazing balsamic caramelized onions, all served with crispy oven baked maple sweet potato fries. It’s the perfect comforting dinner while also keeping it pretty simple and healthy.
1 large sweet potato, peeled
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp maple syrup
1 large onion, sliced thinly
1 tbsp olive oil + more for searing
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 lb ground turkey
1 shallot, finely chopped
1/4 cup apple, peeled and cubed small
2 tbsp oats (preferably quick cooking)
2 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 1/2 tsp thyme
1 tsp rosemary, finely chopped
1/2 tsp salt
- To make the sweet potato fries preheat the oven to 425 F and cut your sweet potato into long thin strips, about 1 cm thick. Toss with olive oil, salt and maple syrup then spread evenly across a large baking sheet. Make sure they have lots of space to crisp up. Bake for 15-20 minutes, before tossing. Return to the oven for another 15 minutes or until tender and golden brown.
- To make the balsamic caramelized onions, heat olive oil over medium heat until shimmering and add in chopped onion and a generous pinch of salt. Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring every so often until browned. Add in balsamic and cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- For the burgers, combine ground turkey, shallot, apple, oats, herbs, mustard, maple syrup and salt. Form into three patties. Heat olive oil in a nonstick pan until shimmering, then add burgers and cover the pan with foil to trap heat. Flip after 6-7 minutes or until browned. Cover and cook for another 6-7 minutes until the internal temperature registers 165 F
- Serve burgers on buns of choice with caramelized onions and sweet potato fries. Optional toppings: thinly sliced apple, arugula, mayonnaise or tofu ricotta