These Peruvian inspired bowls have everything you need for super healthy flavor packed dinner. It’s got it all, with tender bites of honey lime chicken, crispy oven baked sweet potato fries all topped off with a creamy cilantro aioli. And of course, serve that up with a few slices of avocado because that’s the secret to good cooking. No, not really, but it is a fabulous ingredient.
Anyway, don’t get scared off by the long ingredient list, these bowls have three main components that are all super simple. If you marinate the chicken in advance half the work is done! While the sweet patio fries are going, just dump everything into a pan. The marinade will reduce to coat the chicken and then something weird will happen. You won’t be able to stop eating it. Same with these sweet potato fries! I had such a hard time photographing with because I kept eating the ones in my scene. As for the aioli, it’s probably the easiest one you’ll ever make. All you have to do blend up all the ingredients and you’re done!
Since I’m allergic to dairy, I used a dairy free mayo, but this would work with real too. You could even try subbing in Greek yogurt or coconut yogurt, just up the salt to give some more flavor.
Peruvian Chicken Bowls with Crispy Sweet Potato Fries and Cilantro Aioli.Course: Dinner, lunchDifficulty: Easy
These Peruvian inspired chicken bowls are the perfect healthy dinner filled with honey lime marinated bites of chicken, black beans, crispy oven baked sweet potato fries and topped off with an easy cilantro aioli.
- For the marinade
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Juice of 2 limes
1 tbsp lime zest
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp soy sauce
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp paprika
2 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tbsp olive oil + more for pan frying
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- For the Sweet Potato Fries
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into matchsticks
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt + more to taste
- For the Cilantro Aioli
1/2 cup mayonnaise
Zest and juice from 1 lime
2 garlic cloves
1 cup packed cilantro, roughly chopped
- To Serve
Cooked quinoa or brown rice
Canned black beans
Fresh lime and cilantro
- To make the marinade, whisk together lime juice, zest, honey, soy sauce, paprika, cumin and 1 tbsp olive oil. Cut chicken breasts into bite size pieces and place into a resealable plastic bag. Pour over marinade and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Up to overnight.
- To make the fries, preheat the oven to 425 F. In a large bowl, toss sweet potatoes with olive oil, oregano and salt then spread out across a sheet pan. Make sure not to over crowd or they won’t crisp up. Bake for 15-20 minutes before removing from the oven and tossing. Bake for another 20-25 minutes or until brown and crispy.
- Meanwhile, cook the chicken. In a large skillet, heat enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan over medium heat. When shimmering, add in chicken along with the marinade. Cook for for 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the marinade has reduced. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- To make the cilantro aioli, combine mayonnaise, lime zest and juice, cilantro, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor or high speed blender. Blend until smooth.
- Serve the chicken over rice, alongside the sweet potato fries, black beans, sliced avocado and a drizzle of cilantro aioli.